Friday, November 11, 2005

The saga continues...

Well, where was I?  Oh, right, the cloud on my happy horizon.  My new editor.  

She was, and is, organized, efficient and a hard worker.  She hits deadline ahead of time, and always gets the paper out smoothly, which is not easy when the only staff reporter, me, had a tendency to turn in stories late.  She is a mediocre writer, which I can appreciate, but she is no editor.  Typos, incorrect headlines, missed article jumps, passive aggressive article assignment meetings, and lots of sighs and eye rolling directed toward me, ensued.  

I tried to duck my head and just write, but an issue of the paper came out that was so bad, it not only humiliated me, but was an embarrassment to the people who’d entrusted me with their stories and interviews.

I had to leave.  And it broke my heart.  

It felt like I was betraying my contacts and my community.  But to stay and never know how my articles were going to turn out, to never know what new embarrassing headline or misprint with my byline was going to rear its ugly head, and to work for a publisher who was fiddling while Rome burned, was intolerable.  

So, I made the break, without notice.  And I wrote a letter of resignation to the CEO that is probably not going to make a difference.  Woo-hoo…

Two days after I quit, another paper snatched me up.  I’m trying it, but I’m not sure what the future holds for me.  That Walmart gig is looking better and better…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home