Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Did I say that out loud?

I told a teacher I’m quite fond of today that he would never see most of the seeds he’s planting come to fruition.  He was getting discouraged by students’ lack of initiative and their desire to take the easy way out.  

Sometimes we’re so busy looking at the obvious that we miss the subtle.  The so-called “smart” kids and the loud mouthed griper/slackers get all of the attention, while the ones who are quietly slogging away in the background, maybe making mediocre grades but still getting by, will end up being the ones who really make it.

Middle ground is seriously underrated.  Most overachievers end up burning out; most trouble makers end up going to jail.  It’s the average middle of the road kids, the ones who keep plugging away until they finish, who will end up ruling the world.  

Look at Bill Gates.  There is a middle aged, overweight housewife out there somewhere who was once a hot cheerleader in high school, realizing now how stupid she was for giving him the cold shoulder.

As for my frustrated teacher?  He probably didn’t want to hear that the results of his hard work and high standards would end up affecting lives in ways he may never get to see.  But I hope he doesn’t compromise.

We all have the desire to take the easy way out.  But it’s the ones who kick us in the butt, don’t give us a break, and never let us get away with anything who force us into living up to our potential.  

I hate when that happens…

1 Comments:

Blogger teach99 said...

My husband and I teach in tough inner city schools. We can definately relate! I have just stumbled on your blog. You seem to have an exciting life with carchases and fires. I was just skimming, but WOW!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home