Friday, December 12, 2008

Snow White

So much for posting every day...

In my defense, it has been a thrilling last couple of days. I've been working nights, which sucks, from 4 to 10. Just enough time to make as little money as possible and still not get to see my kids. But on Wednesday night while I was at work, it started snowing! It was beautiful.

I thought it would just be for a few minutes, but it kept snowing and snowing until finally, by the time I got off work to head home, the ground and cars and bushes and trees were covered in about two inches of white, powdery snow. When I got in my car it felt like I was in a cave because the thick layer of snow insulated everything. I rolled down my window to shake it off and a ledge of snow fell onto my front seat. Not too smart. I laughed and dusted it off and for the first time in my life, I drove home with three inches of snow on my hood and big, fat snowflakes coming straight at me.

My neighborhood looked like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting when I got home. Dalton was gone on an MVA call, (motor/vehicle accident), but was already wrapping things up and would be home soon. Natthan met me in the kitchen and I made him come outside and look, then I grabbed a handful of snow off the hood of my car and hit him with it. We threw some snowballs at each other and ran inside to wake up the kids. Joe came out of his room wrapped in a blanket and came outside with us to see; when we started pelting him with snow, he ran in to change and we got Savannah out of bed. Katie came out for a few minutes, but then she was content to raise her bedroom window and take pictures from inside.

By the time Dalt got home, we were in full snowplay. The boys were rolling a gigantic snowman and I had a stockpile of snowballs ready to pelt him. We ended up playing in the snow 'til after midnight and I let the kids stay home yesterday.

My drive to work yesterday morning was... incredible. Snow still covered everything. The sun was bright and the sky was blue and even the ugliest landmark looked beautiful under a regal white blanket. My drive takes me down a wooded country lane and it was absolutely magical, all frosty and sparkly.

By 9:30, the snow was gone like it had never happened. But it did. I have pictures and memories to prove it. And a few snowballs still in the freezer.

1 Comments:

Blogger elysabeth said...

That's the kind of snow I like. lol - only enough to know it snowed and then go away. I hate the mushy, slushy nasty stuff that lingers - Glad you enjoyed it - E ;)

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home