Saturday, May 27, 2006

Miss me?

Ok. My computer is still in the shop, but I couldn't stand it anymore - I had to write.

I woke up this morning to the sound of fire truck sirens and horns blasting as they passed my house, so you know I had to go.

It was a garage fire, complete with explosions. Cool.

My boss called me 'cause he'd heard about it on the scanner, but I was already on my way - after waiting 20 minutes for my car to get back from having it's oil changed, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Anyway, I finally made it. The fire was almost out already, so I got the pertinent information and called the station, fully expecting to give the story to Bossman and be on my way.

But, no. Bossman was gone and Allen was full into the 10 am news. I was going to have to go on live over the phone. Holy guacamole. He told me I had 70 seconds before I was on the air.

Ok. 70 seconds is a long time when you're trembling on the phone with nothing but some scribbled notes and a hangover. I thought Allen would do some kind of huge lead-in, so when he said, "Ok Cas, what's the story?" I just said, "Huh? What?" He patiently prompted me with a mention of the fire and I ran with it.

I have no idea what I said. Probably something like, "Yes Allen. I'm at a fire. It is burning. There is smoke."

I guess all first times are the same. Nerves, fear, anticipation, and then it's over in 30 seconds.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! She's back! Thank God. I missed you! It was great seeing you the other night, although it wasn't long enough!!! Love you!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home