Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Fleeting Moments

I was at the mall today with my 8 year-old daughter, Savannah. We never go there because the mall is a good 30 minute drive from our town and we usually don't have money for casual shopping. I forget how fast time flies for me but goes by slowly for the kids. To me, it hasn't been that long since we were there, but for Savannah it's one of the few times she's been there her whole life.

We walked through quickly and she had a happy look on her face the whole time. She chatted with me while we stood in line at Sears and it made me realize how young she is and how I'm missing this time that will never come again because I'm too busy.

On the floor below us there was a long line of kids waiting to get their picture taken with Santa. Savannah talked about how long it was and how long it would take to stand in it and how expensive it would be. I asked her if we had more time would she want her picture taken with Santa. She said no, she was getting too big for that. I'm not sure if she really felt that way or if she was trying to be brave.

I love that she still looks at me with love and trust and fondness. She still holds my hand through the stores and believes I'm the mom and I know what's best for her. Katie doesn't look at me that way anymore.

This Christmas Savannah still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy and me.

I'll take what I can get.

2 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

It seems like Katie doesn't believe in you for now, but soon she will show that she really does. When I was her age, I resented my mother for many things, but as I got older I realised that she was only doing what she thought was best. It's not like I was a picture perfect daughter either, but things change. Now I am a mother to 2 beautiful daughters who I know will more than likely lose their faith that I know best (most of the time anyways) and that they will soon after return to me. That's why I love "Already Gone" by Sugarland. We have to let go in order for them to learn their own mistakes and to grow as their own young woman. Just be there for her when she falls, she will thank you later for not strangling her as a teen.

Oh and Savannah is in Zachary's class. I saw her at the Christmas party.

11:10 PM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

Yes hold on to those few fleeting moments when the kids still believe you are the most wonderful person in the world. They do grow up rather quickly. I have teenagers for my babies and no, I've never gotten the looks of adoration from them. Always independent, never needing mom around. But alas, they do love me in their own way. E :)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home