Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Don't blink

I blink and nearly a month has gone by. Gone in a flurry of paperwork (the bank approved our offer to buy our house - now we're going through the loan process, which is BRUTAL), serious decision-making (I've decided to go back to school to be a nurse), studying for college placement tests (see "serious decision-making"), and the usual wife/mom/substitute teacher stuff.

My granddaughter is growing up faster than you can say "I never get to see her because I live so far away." My kids are almost all taller than me.  And the phrase "stuck in the 80's" has been mentioned in my presence way too much for comfort lately. Not that I AM stuck in the 80's. It's just that more than two decades have disappeared while I was concentrating on raising my children.

So, yeah.

I found out this morning that Jeanne Felldin died last week. Jeanne was a member of the writing group I belonged to for a while. Actually, there were only three of us, with a few guest stars every once in a while. But for the most part, it was Jeanne, Bill and me. Jeanne was in her 80's five years ago, when we were still a group, a published author (as is Bill) and quite a lady. She had a way of coercing me into projects that didn't pan out. I learned a lot from her and I loved her, but eventually my inability to set boundaries made me withdraw from her completely. This also resulted in me withdrawing from our writing group. Unfortunately.

So, now I'm going back to school to be a nurse. Very practical of me. I still read author interviews and articles on writing and dream of being able to finish something. But dreams don't pay the bills, my friends.

And, apparently, I'm too old to make it in the Lingerie Football League.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home