Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pray, Love, Feast

I'm in New Braunfels with Dalton. He had to come to a swift water rescue training class for the fire department. They hold the class in the Guadalupe and Comal rivers because they have relatively controlled swift water areas that are perfect for training. Several different fire departments have sent people down for it; there are three of our guys and about twenty in the class altogether.

It's beautiful here. I've gone down a few times to take pictures and I've really enjoyed it. It's been luxurious to be able to sleep in every morning and join the group at lunchtime. We leave tomorrow. I really want to come back soon with the kids. I think they'd love it.

I went to the movies today, by myself. Some people are bothered by doing things alone, but I don't mind. I learned to enjoy doing things alone when I lived by myself for a while in my twenties. I think every young woman should live alone for a while. You learn a lot about yourself that way. There's no one else's opinion that counts when you live alone. No one else's needs or wants conflicts with your own, so there are no excuses for not knowing what you want. Where do you want to go out to eat? What movie do you want to go see? What are you going to cook for yourself for dinner? You have to figure these things out, and sometimes it's not easy. But it's important. If you don't like being with yourself, who else would?

Anyway, I went to see "Eat Pray Love." It's the kind of movie I would have loved in my twenties.

I've been kind of casually following the author, Elizabeth Gilbert, since I saw a lecture she gave on writing a year or so ago. Honestly, I've been a little jealous because she had the balls to write a memoir on her experience and I can't finish anything. Well, I finally saw the movie, and like I said, I would have loved this movie back in my twenties. I was on a similar spiritual quest back then. Eeerily similar. I find myself grateful that I didn't have the money she had to take her quest to India because I might have done something similar and ended up on the wrong path forever.

Fortunately, I did not.

Instead, I met a wonderful woman who led me to the real Truth, got baptized in the swimming pool at a health club and have never been the same since. I keep stumbling down the path, but my Shepherd will never let me get lost again. I love Him. But He loved me first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home