Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Land of the lost

The kids and Dalt are back at school. I spent the usual three hours last night signing stacks of papers and reading class rules and expectations. The kids are happy with their schedules and teachers and Dalton is happy to be teaching strictly world history classes all day, no more computer tech courses. I told everyone Monday morning that I had a feeling this would be the best year ever, and it seems they've taken it to heart.

Yesterday morning I watched Julia Sweeney perform her one-woman play entitled "Letting Go of God." In it, she chronicles her journey from devout Catholicism to devout atheism. It's well written, entertaining, and very intellectually sensible. And at the end, I cried and cried and cried. It was like watching a born-again story in reverse. She has become an evangelist for atheism, and just like I felt after watching "Eat, Pray, Love," I know it could so easily have been me. That cynical, resolved, resigned woman could have been me, but for the grace of God.

What can I do? When I first became a Christian, it was so real and so personal and unique an experience to me that I was sure if I just told people about it, they would immediately get it. And a few did. But most just thought I was a crazy zealot. I've since learned to tread more softly. I try to follow the lead of God and plant seeds of Truth when the opportunity arises. My heart is broken for these lost people. But what more can I do?

I'm going to pray about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home