Saturday, November 19, 2005

Women drivers, go figure

When I was about seven years old, my parents took my sister and me to ride go-carts for the first time. It scared the crap out me and very nearly cost a man his life.

Loud noises terrified me when I was a kid. This was loud times a thousand. Gas fumes choked me; I sat in a completely alien machine, had no idea how to operate it, and it seemed like 50 people were waiting for me to take off. I panicked.

My foot hit the gas peddle and I swerved out onto the course like a bat out of hell. I don’t know how I did it, but I maneuvered those turns, balls to the wall, gas pedal floored the entire time. My seven year old brain was convinced that if the go-cart hit the tires lining the track I would either explode in a ball of flame or be embarrassed in front of everybody, and it was a toss-up which would be worse.

Somehow, I didn’t crash. I made it around every lap; my knuckles were white and my body was clenched so tightly I could have produced a diamond from a lump of coal between my butt cheeks, but I hadn’t died yet, so that was good. And then I saw the red light.

All the other riders had pulled back into the pit. I could see the pit guy yelling something at me as I passed him. And I realized I was going to have to stop. But I didn’t know how.

The guy was pretty cool about it until I sped past him the second time. I think he realized we had a problem then, because he started running after me. By the third pass, he was yelling words a seven year-old should never hear and he quit chasing me. When I rounded that corner again, he was just standing there. In the middle of the track. Dead straight ahead

I saw him, and he saw me, and he didn’t move. I can still remember his eyes as I raced toward him. They were determined, a little pissed off, confident. But the closer I got, the wider they got. I wondered what it was going to feel like to run a man over, and I didn’t slow down. The go-cart barreled toward him. At the last minute he squealed and jumped out of the way. It made me jerk my foot off the pedal and I realized the thing would stop as long as I didn’t press the gas.

There was no bloodshed that day, but I think he’ll always remember the skinny little blonde girl who nearly ran him over.

I took my five year-old daughter go-cart riding last night. I wasn’t scared this time, but she was a little nervous. I buckled her in, sat behind the wheel next to her and told her there was nothing to worry about. Gas fumes perfumed the air, I knew how to handle the machine, and it didn’t matter who was waiting for us to take off.

We had a great time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Newsandseduction said...

interesting!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Women never want to park too close or too straight along the curb, but always seem to bump into parking lot car stopper..( as passerbys see their heads abruptly jolt forward) MJ

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home