Friday, March 09, 2007

On Not Writing

Today I babysat my friend Martha's used bookstore.

It was a silent day spent reading and communing with a very sweet momma cat and her five new babies, punctuated by three customers and a lively visit with a saucy 72 year-old pot head. She was a spitfire.

I was there for an hour this morning before I realized I hadn't turned one of the "Open" signs around. Oops.

Being surrounded by books was cool. I finished a novel I'd been reading and picked up the companion to Stephen King's "On Writing," called "The Secret Window." It's very good. I feel very authory now.

I've also been feeling sad and lonely lately. Maybe it's a prerequisite for writing the Great American Novel (although, honestly, I'd be happy writing a Harlequin romance at the moment - anything that's finished would be good.) Maybe it's hormones.

It's nothing a tropical vacation wouldn't cure. You think I could get somebody to write a prescription for one?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cass.. hook a sista up with your old dope lady - lol

7:59 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Ahhhh!! A little slice of heavan! to be surrounded by books all day. that would be wonderful. I could spend hours at a Barnes and Nobel. So many books, so little time!!! :-)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

And PS...you will never be truly alone. Too many people are attracted to your magnetic personality, and if they aren't there physically, they will always be there in thought. Besides, no matter where you go, you will always be there! :-)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Liberated Momma said...

Geee, I am the biggest reader in the world, I could not imagine life without books and ANYONE that knows me knows, I would rather be reading than doing just about anything.

I could be locked on exile island and be just peachy as long as I had access to some books.

The places our brain takes us is amazing.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Simply Jen said...

I completey agree, T. I could do nothing but read all day. I was in heaven when I was in 8th grade because I was in the library for a whole class period, something called library asst. or something. You know, like they have students in the office helping out and stuff.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home