Monday, August 17, 2009

Something new

The kids go back to school next week. Dalt went back today. I still don't know what I'm going to do.

I haven't been able to decide what to write, or finish anything, so I decided to try an experiment. I shut off my brain and just let my fingers start typing whatever came to mind. It didn't have to make sense or anything, I was determined to just let my fingers go and do whatever. It was originally intended to hopefully spark a story or just give me some kind of direction, but it didn't turn out that way at all.

I thought a story would come out, or just a string of words that didn't make sense. But what came out did make sense, kind of. I mean, there are punctuation marks and italics and capital letters, even complete paragraphs. On the first one I did, I even thought I was finished so I wrote the date at the bottom, but then more came. The second one, from yesterday, is similar to the first, but it really doesn't make as much sense and there were words I had to look up because I wasn't sure what they meant.

What does that mean? When I'm writing words in a context I don't consciously understand? Is this stuff that's in my subconscious? Is it from something I've read before that's stuck and is coming out this weird way? I don't have a clue.

I'm thinking about starting a new blog and posting these exercises. I don't edit them. They just are what they are. I am going to keep doing them everyday, though. Just to see what comes out next.

I call it "Free Flow."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home