Friday, July 23, 2010

Pooh, Day 2: The Saga Continues

I woke up from a deep sleep last night, slightly before midnight. Not sure why I was awake, I decided maybe I needed to go to the bathroom. I went to the bathroom. That wasn't it. Maybe (I thought to my sleepy, panty and t-shirt wearing self) it's because Katie might not be home yet from her late-night run to Walmart with her very pregnant friend. I should text her and see when she'll be home and remind her to lock the door when she gets in.

I padded into the kitchen, so as not to disturb my sleeping husband, and tried to find a spot where I could get enough signal to text. We live in the boondocks. This not an easy feat. Finally, right over the kitchen sink, I got signal long enough to send Katie my "When the heck are you going to be home?" text. I flipped shut my phone, turned to set it down on the microwave, and felt water squish between my unassuming toes. Uh-oh.

Maybe somebody just dripped a little water there, right?

I looked down and there was standing water all along the baseboard of my sink, soaking the kitchen rug, and more was pouring out from under the cabinet. I blinked horrified eyes, flipped off the running dishwasher and, for just a brief moment, contemplated pretending I never saw any of it and going back to bed.

But I couldn't do it.

At first I thought the dishwasher had made the septic back up again, but when I looked under the cabinet it turned out that a pipe had disconnected and caused all the water from the dishwasher to freely pour out onto everything under my sink.  Wow.

So, I got to pull everything out from under my sink and play midnight clean-up at the OK Corral. In my t-shirt and panties. (I hope the neighbors couldn't see in my kitchen window.) Katie got home a few minutes later. I locked the door myself.

Dalt got up this morning and fixed the pipes. The septic guys showed up and cleaned out the aerobic system. And I did not have the forethought to not let the dogs out while they were here. Dachshunds are not cute when they smell like raw sewage.

For the second day in a row. 

:)

3 Comments:

Blogger SML said...

Bless you! Hope you manage peaceful snooze tonight!! As somebody who has had their own share of dishwasher related drama today I sympathise!!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Heather Butchart said...

Hope everything is fixed and you got to sleep a whole night through! We do get tested, don't we?!
Heather

5:15 PM  
Blogger Cas said...

Thanks guys! It could always be worse, that's for sure. :)

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home