Wednesday, September 13, 2006

On average

Someone said something profound to me today.

We were talking about why people turn out the way they do. Nature or nurture? Personally, I think it's a little of both. But I digress.

I mentioned my 19 year-old son, Nathan. He's the subject of many of my conversations. She said, "Nathan is too artistic to ever fit in, and that's what he's trying to do. He'll either figure it out, or he won't."

Her simple statement made me realize it was true for me, too. I have always tried to fit in and it's never worked, and suddenly I understood why. Not because I was doing something wrong, but because I'm different. And Nathan's different. Truth be told, all of my kids are different and none of us will ever fit in. And that's ok; painful when you're young and wanting so much to be "average" and part of the crowd, but ok.

I finally figured it out.

I think Katie's known it all along. Savannah's ego won't allow her to care. Joseph is struggling with it now. He's so sensitive it may be a while before he gets it. Zach adjusted. And Nathan? Who knows.

I hope he's not 40 before he realizes he's an octagon in a triangle world.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

Octagons are what make the world a not so boring place to be. So, from one octoagon to another, embrace it! :-)

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well put Cat! I completely agree. If we were all the same it would be a very boring place! ~Jen

9:23 AM  
Blogger psycho_aide said...

Hunny I can honewstly say I will never fit in nor do I want to. I am me if you don't like it oh well go annoy someone else. Maybe your kiddos will have an even better view of the world b/c of this.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home