Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunny days and changing ways

Things are settling back to normal, kind of. My butt's still dragging and everything feels about 1/2 a degree off center still, but I don't know why.

Anyway, I've spent the last two days frolicking in the pool with my kids and reading Stephen King's "The Shining." I'm toasty red and I've probably aged my skin another 10 years, but it's been great.

While soaking up the sun like a lazy lizard yesterday and getting inspired by King's interesting word usements, I overheard my seven year-old daughter tell her friend, "I'm going in now, my hair is all jacked up."

I almost swallowed my tongue. But haven't we all been there?

Speaking of which, a friend recently called me out on being so negative about my looks and I'm taking that to heart. I've decided to enjoy who I am, even going so far as to venture into public sans makeup occasionally. I've also stopped melting my hair into submission every time I wash it, opting instead to let it curl the way it wants every once in a while.

It's a very freeing thing, this being who I am business.

In fact, I like it so much I've decided to try an experiment. I'm going to try to order my thoughts and conversation in purely positive ways. You know the old adage, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. It will probably last half a day, but I'm going to try anyway. We'll see what happens. It's just as easy to think of the good as it is to comiserate over the bad.

If the world tilts on its axis, we'll know I succeeded. The last time I had a fit of optimism, I caught my hair on fire.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liberated Momma said...

I hope one day you can see you as I do... beautiful. Just beautiful.

I cannot imagine my life without you in it. I hope you know that..

no matter what, I say or do.. I love you , I truly do..

Same Bat time, same Bat place????

7:55 AM  
Blogger Cas said...

You betcha! But is that 2 or 2:30??

8:10 AM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

From your pic, Cas, I have to agree you are beautiful and look to be full of life. Unfortunately - low self-esteem is one of the hardest things to overcome simply because we don't see ourselves as others do. I know; I'm there - no self-esteem whatsoever - always been a fat, ugly child, am still a fat, ugly adult - but that's me - I'm working on the weight loss some but not enough it seems - so goes life - the world will fix that 1/2 degree somehow - and it will come back in alignment - lol - E :)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I love you and think you're beautiful, but God gave us makeup for a reason - to make ugly women feel bad about themselves!

Don't toss the makeup - go with less hair styling, sure, but let's not get carried away...

We don't want to blend into the crowd at the Cleveland Walmart...

J.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home