Thursday, April 19, 2007

To make a long story long

I'm much better now; feeling pretty great actually, except for tired muscles from all the exercise.

One of my best friend's daughers is getting married in May and I've begun to make plans to go. They live in a beautiful small town in northern Idaho and I'm really looking forward to it.

In true girlfriend fashion, we're going to parlay it into a scenic trip, driving to Glacier National Park in Wyoming and then up into Canada to some kind of hotsprings thing they have, then back to Idaho. It should definitely be a Lucy/Ethel type event.

DeDe and I met the summer I was 16. She turned 18 on June 6th that year and I've never forgotten her birthday since. You never know when you're going to meet a forever friend. But when you do, things stick with you.

Before school was out that summer, I was in drama class with this guy named Todd. He was a grade ahead of me and kind of an odd bird, but very charming. Not someone I would normally be attracted to - but hey - charming goes a long way. Somehow, by the end of the year he sat in the desk in front of me and flirted a lot. We both ended up with leading roles in the school play.

My sister was married and had her own apartment, so I talked her into letting us have the cast party there. Not a lot of people showed up, but Todd was one of the few. And he was the only guy. We ended up drinking and probably smoking a little pot and finally decided everyone should stay for the night. Including Todd.

All the girls thought he was so cute, but nobody would make a move on him. So I did. It was easy for me because sure, he was cute, but I didn't have a crush on him, so there was nothing to lose. I didn't know then that guys don't turn girls down.

Well, this isn't an X-rated story. We didn't have sex, but we did end up making out all night, which is every teenage girl's dream. And he was a FANTASTIC kisser, which always rates high in my book.

So, Todd and I became a couple.

I practically lived at my sister's apartment that summer. My days consisted of sunning by the pool several hours a day, drinking, eating, and talking on the phone with Todd. I heard a lot about his friends, DeDe - or Pickle, as they called her then - and his best friend Bryan. One day when Todd was over, there was a knock at the door. I opened it up to find everything I had ever liked in a guy (at that point) standing in front of me. Tall, lanky, and blonde with sleepy brown eyes and utterly kissable lips. I was so stunned I just stood there. Todd came to the door and introduced me to his buddy, Bryan. Holy crap, I was infatuated with Todd's best friend.

Well, that made things more interesting. I was still with Todd, but I really wanted to be with Bryan. I just had to figure out how to switch. They came over a few times together and I could tell Bryan was interested, but what to do? I was really into making bets with people at the time (only when I knew I would win), so I bet Todd over the phone $20 that I could get Bryan to come over without him telling Todd about it. Cocky, huh? Todd, of course, took the bet because Bryan was his very good friend and would never do that to him.

Riiiiiiight.

So I called Bryan and asked him to come over. And he did. I told him what I'd done and we called Todd together. They both took it very well and Bryan took me to lunch. I called Todd, afterwards, and told him I wanted to start going out with Bryan. He was okay. We weren't in love and we both knew it. But I still made him pay me my $20. A bet's a bet.

Anyway. Bryan and I started seeing each other, and having sex (he was my second, but first regular), and I fell in love. Head over heels. It was everything I ever wanted. Beautiful.

Until I started hearing more and more about DeDe, like thunder rolling in the distance.

They all lived in the same apartment complex together. DeDe had a crush on Todd and they began dating. I met her at the mall when Bryan and I were there one day, and then saw her again a few times at Todd's house. She was nice and friendly and very confident, which I was not. I was attractive, but didn't know it. I felt inferior and clumsy.

Anyway, we went to play pool together one night, DeDe, Todd, Bryan and I. DeDe and I talked while they played and really bonded. I liked her very much. And Bryan was all over her all night. It was obvious. And humiliating. I was crushed, but everyone told me I was overreacting. So I pretended everything was fine.

A few days later the four of us and Todd's sister were going out and we were in a car accident, rear-ended. It was pretty serious. Bryan and Todd were fluttering all over DeDe and Todd's sister, and I was 16 and didn't know what to do. And I was alone. I was embarrassed because obviously my boyfriend was into someone else, and everyone else knew what to do, and I didn't. I called my dad from the emergency room and told him I was fine and they were going to make sure I got checked out, but it wasn't true. Everyone was seen by a doctor but me. It was like I was invisible. And I was really hurt, which I discovered the next morning when I couldn't turn my head because of the whiplash.

Wow, how did this turn into the painful confession of my first love? I guess I'll try to condense this a little.

By the end of that summer, I broke up with Bryan, (he pleaded the whole time he was not interested in DeDe), Todd and I remained friends, and DeDe tried to keep in touch, though when she came to my house and showed me the romantic card Bryan had enclosed in the flowers he sent her, I couldn't take the pain. But that's what I get, right?

Anyway, I got back with the guy my parents wanted me to, and when we became engaged I invited Todd to the wedding. He brought DeDe, who was now married to Bryan and pregnant. My heart was crushed. I was still in love with Bryan. But I liked DeDe too, and I couldn't hold it against her. I just thought I would never see them again after that.

Well, as fate would have it, I got pregnant right away. The first night of Lamaze class, guess who we ran into on the parking lot? DeDe and Bryan. And they were in the same class. DeDe and I became very close and our babies were born a month and a half apart. Our friendship overcame the pain I felt every time I saw Bryan.

Now for the ultimate irony. DeDe divorced Bryan when the babies were still small. Turns out he was a pathological liar. She married Todd and we had our second babies one day apart in the same hospital. We went through a lot of ups and downs and she was responsible for me getting together with the second love of my life, Todd's little brother, Michael.

Which is another story for another day.

Suffice it to say, DeDe's daughter is getting married. And we're going on a roadtrip!

3 Comments:

Blogger Liberated Momma said...

Gee, I thought you said it was going to be long, not a freakin' novel.. J/J

Funny how crap works out and I think it will be more like Thelma and Louise..


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

6:31 PM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

Cool story - glad you have a friend like that - and that over all the years and everything you've been through - you still can enjoy the time together. Men in general are liars - but that's my opinion - lol - E :)

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hrmmm, all of this stuff makes me want to purge. Cleanse, as it were. I am thinking Ann munition is really one of my twisted children. Just how crazy am I?(rhetorical question)
Is having vokda for breakfast a bad thing?

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home