Monday, April 21, 2008

Pretty to think

I am almost through editing the previously mentioned romance. My goal is to finish it by the end of this week and to send a query letter to Harlequin by next Monday.

Dalt and I ran into a friend of his at Walmart on Sunday and when she asked me what I do, I had one of those spectacular deer-in-the-headlights moments.

"Well, I'm a writer. But I don't have a job right now, so I'm working on a book."

"A Harlequin Romance," Dalt added proudly.

Then it came - that look people get when you tell them you're a writer. The subtle eye flicker, the polite smile as they file you under the "ridiculous loser" category. The "Harlequin Romance" tidbit provoked an extra ill-concealed eye roll.

Here's the thing - I have decided that the reason I'm backed into this wall of unemployment is so that I will finally be forced into doing what I really want to do, write books.

Yes, I've been working for the past quarter of a century at jobs I don't really like just to make money, instead of biting the bullet and doing what I really want to do. Now I have the opportunity to give it a go. And still, I'm working on a cheesy romance novel because I think it will be the best way to make money, faster.

But this is progress, isn't it? Instead of working at low paying jobs I don't like, I'm working on a book I don't really like.

And tomorrow, I'll get hit by a bus and none of it will matter anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

Well, as long as your remember the little people when you become a famous author, I think starting with a cheesy romance novel is just fine! LOL Love you!

10:29 PM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

You better not get hit by a bus - you have work to do - and I don't just mean the cheesy romance novel. You have a story that has yet to come out of you and trust me when it does, it will be a hit. Now if you go a little more risque, you could be making tons of money. Apparently erotica is the way to go - but don't look at me for help on that - I had my little stint with writing erotica and now I'm writing children's stories (speaking of which, didn't I send you a copy o the sent to the publisher ms to read with Savannah? - What are you waiting on? Christmas? I would like some feedback from your daughter since it is targetted to her age group and we all know how valuable feedback is) -

Nope, no busses for you today or tomorrow - lol - none in the near future of semi-distant future either. Write away - see you in the postings - E :)

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home