Sunday, July 13, 2008

As Much As I Can Stand

I am in pain. And by that, I mean OUCH. My feet hate me. My new job entails standing for the entire time I work, which is anywhere from six to nine hours at a time, with a 15-minute break and a 30-minute lunch.

There is also a lot of nothing to do but stand and watch the clock. The military should use this as a new instrument of torture; and if they want to be especially cruel they could throw in the stupid background song for Antonio Banderas' new perfume commercial on a continuous three-minute loop. It is excruciating.

To survive, I have been honing my math skills: $7.75 an hour breaks down to $3.875 every half hour, $1.94 every 15 minutes, or roughly 13 cents a minute. It takes approximately three hours, 12 minutes of continuous standing before my feet start to feel uncomfortable. This discomfort multiplies exponentially in 30-minute increments until full fledged pain erupts at six hours, 42 minutes. It is at this precise point in time when the clock slows to an eighth of its normal speed.

Really.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

Wow! you got alot of time on your hands there girl! LOL I couldnt stand on my feet that long either. tried that at a western wear store. Job didnt last very long. :-)

11:20 AM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

Good shoes are the key to those long days - something on the lines of nurse's shoes (there is a brand that is really good but I don't know it right off hand). If you are behind the counter, why can't you have a stool to sit on when you aren't busy (which seems to be all the time)? Maybe you need to restock shelves or dust or stock up the little things - I don't know. I worked at Belk's when I was in high school and I worked in the hosiery department (only business was between about 7:30 and 9 Saturday nights - you know those women who never had a clean pair of hosiery to wear to church). My job was to stock the hosiery bins, dust, make sure the pocketbooks (this is back when Aigner came out and they had to be locked up) were pretty much locked and displayed properly, and walk around trying to stay out of trouble. I was notorious for getting into other departments and helping them out of sheer boredom and that was my downfall (children's, shoes and jewelry were always busy but not hosiery).

I definitely say get you some good supportive shoes for standing long periods of time - E :)

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

write!please,write more

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to reality, Toots. Maybe you should try walking on your hands. You can be like a circus act of sorts and they can charge people money to come see you. Heck, you can even hit them up for a raise if ticket sales take off. However, a new problem is upon us:
Where to find a comfortable pair of walking gloves for those 8 or 10 hour shifts.

-V36

1:55 AM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

Where you been hiding? Nothing since the middle of July? I miss hearing from you girl. Been busy and I understand with school starting back and all and now a holiday upon us already. Let me know what is up with you E :)

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home