Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Thank you, Groucho Marx

I actually liked my job yesterday. Not too bad for one day out of ninety. I got to organize our displays - finally - in the cosmetics department. Have I ever mentioned that I work there? Yes, I am a beauty adviser. Stifle your laughter, please.

So, today, I'm sitting on the couch with a dachsund by my side (my new stepdog), waiting for 1:30 to get here 'cause I have to be at work at 2. Maybe I'll like it again today.

It's been a while since I've played on the computer for hours. I joined Facebook (thank you, E.), played on MySpace (happy birthday T'Noya; hope you enjoyed the view, Paul), and contemplated looking at wedding rings - again - but never did.

Which leads me to the the whole surreal wedding planning thing.

I haven't mentioned my honey much, previously. He is a teacher and an assistant chief for the local volunteer fire department. He loves to read and talk and cook and eat good food and all the things I love. I like him a whole real lot. We were originally going to elope to Las Vegas, but have since decided to stay home so we can include the kids and friends and family. So, now we have to plan a wedding.

First of all, I have an aversion to traditional anything. And I would rather spend money on the honeymoon than the wedding. So, I think we're going to make it a potluck. And, to my mother's great consternation, we are going to get married on a weeknight - November 12th at 6 pm. (You are all invited.)

It will have to be in our backyard, because the house is too small. And it will definitely be BYOC (Bring Your Own Chair) for those who wish to sit through the ceremony. But the main point of the whole event will be the two of us making a lifelong commitment to each other.

And really, there's no one I'd rather be committed with -

in the institution -

of marriage.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

I am so glad that the two of you have decided to get married! I knew that it would happen ever since that night we were at Dave & Busters. If you need any help, let me know. I love to help plan weddings. Especially the ones that are done so small. Mine cost me under &100!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

Its about time little missy! On both accounts, back to blogging and getting married!!! Good for you!!!! :-)

1:15 PM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

I remember reading this post and thinking I had posted a comment. But I must have forgotten to come back and do so. Good luck and have fun - do the wedding the way you want it done - it's not like this is a first time thing. It's your day and you do it the way you want. I wish you many years - see you in the postings - E :)

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home