Friday, September 05, 2008

What a difference two months makes

It's been nearly two months since my last post. Why? A lot of reasons. The main one being that between moving into a new house unexpectedly, getting kids ready for school (new schools at that since we moved into a different district), and working 40 hours a week, I haven't even had time to check e-mails lately.

However, I was told by an avid fan of mine yesterday that I should write something, anything. Even if it's just my grocery list. I'll spare you the details of my culinary ineptitude, but the dust has settled enough for me to get back in the swing of things.

Now for the update: After looking for a house most of the summer and not finding a suitable one, my honey and I decided we would have to wait until next summer to unite our lives and our families (he has a 16 year-old son, Natthan, ironically enough, and I have my three still at home, Katie - 13, Joseph - 10, and Savannah - 8). I didn't want the kids to have to switch schools in the middle of the school year, so I was resigned to wait. Well, at the end of July, Dalt found a 4-bedroom house, we looked at it together, and before you could say 'change of plans', we were packing up two houses and moving. Now we'll be getting married in November.

The kids are adjusting well, with the exception of Katie. She had to switch schools right before 8th grade and is very, very upset about it. She feels that everything has been taken away from her. Her brother, her father, her house with a pool. And now her friends and her 8th grade year, which she felt was going to be her "best year ever." Now she's the new girl who doesn't know anybody. And there's not a damn thing I can do about any of it.

Joseph and Natthan share a bedroom, quite happily since Joseph is so relieved to finally not have to share a room with a sister. Savannah has her own room, and Katie has her own room. The house is brick and only four years old. It's small but cozy.

My honey never ceases to amaze me with his thoughtfulness, compassion and support. He sings to me, holds me when I cry, listens when I scream, and makes me laugh - a lot. He is my heart.

Walgreens is still there. I work every weekend. I don't want to talk about it. My nightmare is to wake up in 20 years and still be there.

So, basically, you're caught up. Now I'm going to go soak in my ridiculously large bathtub, give Katie to God - again, and count my blessings.

2 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

Well, we thank you very much for the update! I sure have missed you and I'm glad to hear that almost everything is fine. Katie will adjust and soon she will have just as many friends as she did before. I moved in the middle of my 9th grade year from Livingston to Channelview. Now that was a social nightmare. Being surrounded by nothing but rednecks to being the minority in a school is a major shock. LOL AND CONGRATS!!!! Have ya'll set a date?

10:09 PM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

Wow - how things have changed. I too am glad to see you have updated. I haven't checked my friends blogs too often but enough to know that no updates had been done in a while. I don't see that nightmare happening. You will get into the groove, and your writing will take off and you will find no need for Walgreen's any more. Just give it a little time. If you have something ready to submit somewhere, you may want to try my publisher - she is kind of booked right now but she is looking for good stories and hasn't closed submissions for now. So if you have something and think you want to try submitting somewhere, look up the guidelines on the 4RV Publishing page.

See you in the postings - E :)

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home