Saturday, November 04, 2006

The naked truth

I've been trying not to let so much time go between posts, but life gets in the way.

I slept late today, spent hours at Walmart with four kids, and have been watching tv ever since. And I didn't put on make-up.

That may seem like a small thing - but for me, it's not. Those of you who know me get it.

The first time I heard of "Sarah, Plain and Tall," I felt like someone had actually written a book about me. That is my perfect description. I have non-descript coloring, neither dark nor light. My eyelashes are invisible and my eyes are small and weak. I'm taller than the average bear (thanks, Yogi), and pretty forgettable, appearance-wise. That's tough for a hopeless romantic who would rather be beautiful.

I learned to apply make-up at an early age and have been hiding behind it ever since. The more insecure I feel in a situation, the more make-up I put on. It gets old. I would love to be able to hop out of bed and go.

There's something to be said, though, for the ritual of getting ready for the day. I listen to music and think about things. I'm not a morning person, so it gives me time to wake up.

Anyway, I decided to face the world today make-up free. I didn't die. No small child screamed, "Mommy, what is it?!?" I didn't run into anyone I know, thankfully.

It was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

Are you kidding? Have you seen yourself?? You are a truly beautiful lady. Your beauty comes from the inside out and you definitely do not need makeup. Makeup is a waste on your beautiful face. And I would trade bodies with you in a heartbeat. But, those are just my thoughts! Love you! :-)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Cas said...

Ah, Cat.

You had me at "Bring it on over, I'll bite." But now I know you really love me. ;-)

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home