Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Getting sucked back into the Vortex

I paid a visit today to our local county annex which houses both the sheriff's office for our end of the world and the local justice of the peace. My intention was to thank the investigator in charge of Nathan's case - who is also a friend of mine from my reporter days - for his help and concern.

Well, I wasn't there two minutes before he tells me the toxicology report should be in some time next week.

Excuse me?

It seems that the JP, who is also a friend from my reporting days and who called me last week to tell me she had received the toxicology report and it was crystal clean, might have gotten her reports wrong.

Two hours and a few conflicting opinions later, it boils down to she believes she has Nathan's toxicology report and it's clean, and he believes the one she has is preliminary and the conclusive one will be in next week.

All this does is rip open my scab. I thought cleaning Nate's room out would be the final thing and it turns out it's not. Whether the stupid report comes back clean or positive for drugs, he's still dead. The thing is, for me, I'm back to not knowing - once again - if drugs played a part in his demise.

On a positive note, I was asked by the investigator to please start writing newspaper articles again on the S.O. cases that are open. It seems I'm their favorite reporter and they don't feel comfortable with anyone but me handling their stories.

That's a cool feeling.

We'll see what happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

The vortex does suck. Just remember that you have friends to help you through this every step of the way. I love you!

1:12 PM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

That is so sad to get your feelings up that it wasn't due to drugs and then be told that it may still - nothing is definite. Well, either way - you have done a remarkable job of keeping it together and grieving at the same time. My prayers are still with you and your family - E :)

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if you're going to start something out with the words "Getting sucked," at least throw something dirty in there, huh???

U know ;)

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home