Sunday, July 15, 2007

I've never liked roller coasters, but I love happy endings

It has been a roller coaster series of days.

Yesterday I went and picked up my friend Nicole to spend the night and help me clean out Nathan's room. Zach will be home in two weeks and we all agreed it will be easier for him if the room is a blank slate.

Nicole is in the process of embarking on a new life. At the tender age of 41, with her children grown and relatively self-sufficient, she is quitting her day job. She plans to travel with her husband and work on a writing career. We celebrated together over dinner and I felt some of my joie de vivre return. It felt good.

This morning reality set in. I procrastinated through two cups of coffee before Nic finally put her foot down and we started on Nathan's room. It didn't take long for me to get sidetracked making a collage of Nate's photographs that were on his wall. She plowed on like a trooper and allowed me to work on the collage while she finished the heavy duty drudgery. We both knew I couldn't handle it.

The collage is beautiful and now hangs in the hallway with the rest of our family pictures. The room is cleaned out.

It was a traumatic day for me.

Now for the next upswing. Nicole mentioned to me that her favorite piece that I've written is an action adventure called "The Leon Chronicles." A piece that I, of course, have never finished. In fact, I haven't even looked at it in three years and thought it was lost with all my other stuff when my computer crashed a while back.

Well, I vaguely remembered seeing it on a floppy disk somewhere in my office. So, for hours I tore apart everything looking for this disk - and found it! Except when I tried to open it, the stupid thing was corrupted. I kept digging through junk and ran across an old CD from my writers' group days. Hoping against hope, I stuck it in my computer and guess what - not only was Leon on it, but all of my old documents and a lot of my pictures I thought were lost forever!

So in honor of my victory celebration, I am posting one of the only poems I've ever written. It falls under the category of "Write What You Know." Here goes:


Ode to a Commode

Oh vestibule of waste disposal
So shiny white,
So cold and noble.

Care you that I scrub and slave,
Crud and scum and urine brave
To keep your surface shining?

I think not.

Oh cruel, indifferent taskmaster;
Through incessant use, the odd disaster,
Your relentless flushes evermore
Keep me tied to this endless chore.

3 Comments:

Blogger elysabeth said...

Those are awesome steps you made. And way cool that you found all that info you thought you had lost - great to have a backup. *NOTE TO SELF - must back up so as not to ever lose my stuff - E :)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Simply Jen said...

What a great ode to such an odd thing!!! LOL Did you know that Johnathan's middle name is Leon?

5:58 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Isn't it GREAT to find things you thought you had lost? its almost like Christmas! Glad you found it and glad things are slowly starting to go forward!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home