Friday, November 07, 2008

Me and Dorothy Parker

I applied for the management trainee program with Walgreens. It feels like I'm selling a piece of my soul, but it will be twice the money. If I have to spend so much time away from home, it may as well be for more money. Hence the selling my soul feeling.

I joined the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) challenge this year. It's an annual writing event where aspiring writers and non-so-aspiring writers share a goal of finishing a crappy fifty thousand-word first draft of a novel, or book, or anything they want. The goal is to write, write, write. Anything. Just get it down on paper (or computer), and worry about quality later - fifty thousand words from November 1st to November 30th. I participated a few years ago and decided to try again.

This a very affirming exercise for me. I nitpick crap to death and never finish anything in the process. The nanowrimo balls-to-the-walls writing approach is very liberating. It also helps to realize I'm not the only procrastinating, self-doubt filled writer in the world. In fact, self doubt and procrastination seem to be prerequisites to genius.

Just call me Einstein.

2 Comments:

Blogger elysabeth said...

Hey Cas,

If you feel up to some word wars let me know - I'm elysabeth42 on NaNo and you are welcome to add me as a buddy. I'm working on states #3, 4 and 5 (hopefully) along with the teacher's guides to go with them. I need some challenges - to get my butt in gear - drop me a line - see you in the postings - E :)

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love ya, post every day!

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home