Monday, July 23, 2007

A brief moment in time

Today I spent some quality time with Katie, my 12 year-old. She was holding a frozen ham and cheese Hot Pocket against her calf muscle, convinced that she was suffering from a muscle deteriorating case of botulism found in certain cans of chili and dog food.

We watched the movie "Practical Magic" together and I held her while tears spilled down her face. We talked about how sometimes anxiety attacks are a sign of grieving, and she quietly cried some more. Then we laughed together about holding a Hot Pocket to your calf muscle to a alleviate a muscle deteriorating form of botulism from canned dog food. She agreed that her imagined scenario was pretty unlikely.

We both feel better.

Now she's back to trying to con me into buying her a digital camera and harrassing me off the computer so she can check her MySpace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

Time heals all wounds, as they say. And it seems that time is doing a wonderful job with you and your family.

10:53 AM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

I couldn't agree more than with Tink. Funny, my 14yo was trying to persuade her father into buying a digital camera for their trip to Charleston (SC) this past week and was going to guise it as "an early birthday present" (her birthday is the end of October) - lol - wonder if she got the camera. Since I've had very little contact with them this week, I won't know until they return.

I love the unlikely case of botulism. But what made her think of putting a Hot Pocket on it and not a pack of frozen peas? She left the Hot Pocket wrapped I hope. Just seems such a weird thing to pull out of the freeze to place on a muscle ache. - lol. Glad you guys are doing well over there - E :)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

You know, sometimes it takes tragedy to bring a family or friends or whoever closer together. I'm really glad you were able to spend such quality time with Katie. I'm sure its just what both of you needed. Also sounds like Katie is going to have her mother's creative mind! Look out Mom! :-)

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so glad you guys are healing together. Katie is such a beautiful, strong young woman! She is following her MAMA!

Love You Guys!
Noya

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home