Monday, August 27, 2007

On getting started

My kids started school today. It was the usual mish-mash of ambivalent feelings, but I didn't stop to dwell on crap. I actually had quite a productive day.

I'm editing a short story I wrote about an older, mixed race couple; my longtime blog readers will recognize Sam and Grace (or a Tale of Grace, as I ended up calling it when it was published in the Liberty Outlook magazine.)

I had to cut over 600 words and it looks like I'm going to have to cut the mixed race part in order to submit it to the magazine I want to. I hate doing that, but I need the money and I think it's the only way it will work. We'll see. Here's to bowing down to the mighty dollar.

The important thing is, I actually wrote today like it was my job. I got the kids off to school, did some chores, sat down with a cup of coffee and worked about three straight hours. It felt really good. I think I'm off to a great start.

Now, if I don't get struck by lightning in the next two minutes or hit by a bus tomorrow, we'll see if I can keep it up!

3 Comments:

Blogger elysabeth said...

Cas,

I thinnk you have a good chance of getting the story accepted. Thanks for sharing with me and you did have a productive day - three hours of writing is very good - way to go - E :)

10:36 PM  
Blogger Cas said...

Thank you, E! Thanks for everything - you're encouragemnt is priceless!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Simply Jen said...

I LOVED that story!! I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home