Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Viva la Swedes!

I had a great time yesterday with Zach. We started off just running a few errands, but his pressing lack of a bed, coupled with the fact that Cleveland has woefully few furniture stores, led us on a cross-Houston adventure to the nearest Ikea center.

First we went to the post office, then had lunch together at the restaurant in town where Nathan worked. That was the first time I'd eaten there since he died and Zach has never been there, so it was interesting. The food was good and having Zach with me took the edge off. Then it was off to the local furniture store that had very little to choose from, so I got the brilliant idea to try Ikea. The prices are reasonable and I thought Zach would like the styles. We looked at some of their stuff online and Zach loved it, so we were off to the ginormous Swedish furniture metropolis an hour away. Plus traffic. Plus crappy Map Quest directions.

The Ikea store in Houston is a world unto itself. Seriously. It's HUGE. It's like an interior design shopping mall complete with it's own You-Are-Here store directory, restaurant, self-serve furniture warehouse, and a two-story kiddie land where parents can drop the kids off for a few hours while they go off to spend thousands of dollars.

Two fun-filled hours later, Zach was set. We talked a lot and looked at a ton of different furniture and interior room ideas. Somewhere between getting excited over finding the perfect bed, window treatments, and lighting and picking out a duvet with decorative throw pillows to match, Zach decided the whole thing was so gay he was going to have to do something manly when we left.

Note: Trying to load and haul a queen-sized mattress and bed frame on a very rolie handcart along with another full shopping cart is... we'll say just challenging. But I'm sure the old lady and two toddlers we ran over will be fine.

A couple of hernias later we finally made it to the checkout line, only to discover they don't take checks and the bank deposit made that day wasn't going to update until midnight. So we had to leave the bed frame, mattress, and comforter, which was probably a good thing because I don't think it was all going to fit in my SUV anyway, and it turns out the lamp set he got was missing a shade. We're going back today to get everything else and exchange the lamp set.

Yay us.

Did I mention in my last post pressing financial problems? Yeah.

My twisted response to possible financial ruin was to go spend a bunch of money on my returned Marine son's bedroom. I'll keep you posted. But just in case, I'm now soliciting possible places to bring my 4 kids, two cats, one dog, and a fish to live. Any takers?

1 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

Hey, I'll take the fish.... It's all I've got room for!! Thank you so much for being there for me! I love you!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home