Tuesday, August 14, 2007

You may call me "Your Majesty"

I am the queen of all I survey - which currently consists of a computer desk, a messy office, and the keyboard in my lap. But even so, I am the queen!

Allow me to explain.

I have resumed walking the track with some friends over the past couple of weeks, and last week Zach joined our little group. Yes, Zach the Marine, who is in fantastic shape even though he gripes about how lax he's gotten since he's been home.

The kid (he'll always be a kid to me) has fantastic posture and makes running the track in this wet Texas heat look like an effortless romp through the park. He makes it easy to forget, in fact, that he's a walking, talking, military-made fighting, er, fitness, machine.

We all naively agreed to let him lead us in doing "core" exercises. Some in our group asked if they were "corps" as in Marine Corps, or "core" as in body core. It turns out they are body core exercises, but after experiencing them first hand, I refer to them as "corpse" exercises - because if they don't kill you initially, you will wish you were dead the next day.

These delightful drills consist of holding a position for a certain number of seconds before switching to the next pose, beginning with a push-up stance and working through a total of 8 variations. Zach said we were supposed to start by holding each position for thirty seconds, eventually working our way up to two minutes, but he had mercy on us the first time by just making us hold a few of them for 15 seconds. Not so the second time. We did 30 in each one, with me loudly protesting the whole time. He was not pleased.

He couldn't make it last night, so I led the drill, kind of fudging by only holding some positions for 15 seconds instead of 30, but still we did it.

Tonight, though, he was there. He had already teased me all day for being such a baby and complaining, so I knew I was in for it. He made me lead the drill. No fudging allowed.

I was sure I wouldn't make it past the third hold, but guess what? Not only did I do it, but I completed every position, leading the group and counting out loud to 30 during each one. Take that, G.I. Jane.

Now, I must go. There's a tub full of hot water waiting for me and I have to find the ibuprofen.

3 Comments:

Blogger elysabeth said...

That's cool to have your son involved. But even though he is fit from being in the Marines and all, he is probably correct about having gotten lax during his time at home because he had not been doing the routines he was used to (even if his stint in the service was short-lived). You are progressing rather nicely - hang in there and know that you are still in our prayers and thoughts - E :)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Simply Jen said...

I'm sure that part of him becoming lax is eating all of those jello shots at your house!!!! Maybe I can join in on your excercising... I need some toning.

11:30 AM  
Blogger A said...

:) Hehe - I may ask and steal some of those excercises from ya'll once the baby is born. I'm determined to get right back into shape as quickly as I can. :D

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home