Saturday, September 01, 2007

What's in a name?

Will someone please tell me how Saturday got here so fast???

I've been thinking - I know, a dangerous pursuit for me - and I've decided it's time to explain my name. It might clear up some people thinking I don't know how to spell 'Cas'.

My mom was very ambitious in naming her daughters, starting with my oldest sister, Antoinette Denise. My paternal grandfather nicknamed her 'Andi' and it stuck.

For her next effort, Mom really liked the name Charlotte, but she was afraid my grand-dad would call her 'Charlie,' so she went with Teresa Gale (Hurricane Carla hit that year, so she named her 'Gale' after 'gale' force winds.) Grand-dad nicknamed her 'Terri' and it stuck.

Then I came along. Mom was in her kitchen with my Uncle John, going through name books, when they happened upon the name 'Cassandra,' and all its variations. My Uncle John said, "Cassie! That's it!" So they decided to name me the nickname right out of the gate.

Now, I have been called a variety of things (some don't bear repeating on a family-friendly blog) including the most popular, Cathy, then there's Casey, Carrie, etc. I'm not sure why the name Cassie is so hard for people to get, but there it is.

My close friends call me Cas. Yes, I spell it C - A - S.

Here's why. My whole name is only six letters long. If you're going to abbreviate it, why even bother if you're only going to knock two letters off? At least chop it in half. The 'A' is still going to be short whether there's an extra 'S' behind it or not.

And besides, as one of my best friends in the world once pointed out, 'Cass' is just 'ass' with a 'C' in front of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simply Jen said...

At least your nick name wasn't Oogle Boogle

10:11 AM  
Blogger elysabeth said...

lol -- sorry that people don't like your name and I got it long before you explained it - guess that makes me weird - but I get questioned all the time now that I've changed the spelling of my name so I don't worry about why others have different spellings or pronunciations to their names and there was a guy on America's Got Talent recently who was Cas (pronounced like Cass anyway) - he made top 4 - so no big deal - you share a name with someone who could have had a million dollars for his talent - so maybe you have the million dollar name - E :)

9:11 PM  
Blogger Master of My Own Small Universe said...

What's in a name?

A Cas by any other name would be just as sweet...

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home