Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Thanksgiving came early to our house and is still here

We ended up compromising on this weekend's visit for the kids with their dad. It turns out Joe was really looking forward to spending the whole weekend and Katie and Savannah just wanted to stay one night, so Joe is going Friday and the girls are going Saturday morning. Everyone seems happy with the arrangement, so that's a relief.

The kids and I have been spending some good time together and they're really getting more involved with keeping the house running instead of depending on me to do everything. Katie made dinner tonight and tomorrow I'm going to help Savannah make spaghetti for her night. Joe and I cleaned up the kitchen and we all did some laundry together. I'm liking this a lot and so are the kids. I feel like I'm getting to know them for the first time in a long time, and we're not just surviving alongside each other.

Last night I determined to lay everything else aside and just relax with my kids. After dinner and kitchen duty, Joseph and Savannah and I decided to watch Elf together. (Katie is too cool to watch Elf and spent the evening sequestered in her bedroom doing teenagery things.)

We turned out all the lights except for a few scented candles, gathered blankets and pillows and put in the movie. While I took a quick potty break before it got started, I overheard Savannah tell Joe, “This is the best thing that’s happened to me all day.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger elysabeth said...

yay!!! - isn't it nice to hear your kids comment like that and have that all over great feeling you are actually doing something wonderful - you are an awesome mother - I wish I had had a day like that. Instead of hearing wonderful comments, my teenager daughter decides that what I've asked her to do to help out around her is too much and she wants to run away - so I helped her out the door - and she made it up the street but it was dark and a truck stopped at the bridge, saw her, drove past our driveway and turned around so she hightailed it back to the house, panicky as she should have been - guess that'll teach her to tell me she wants to run away - lol -

Good deal and enjoy the time because as you know before too long they will be too big and too busy to sit down for some family time. catch you in the postings - E :)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

You know, those are some of the best evenings. Just relaxing with those that you love. Especially after surgery. You need those evenings. Good for you!

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had surgery!!! Ahhh! I am glad oyu are dong well. It is a comfort to know that the kids are doing well. I miss you guys, Let me know when you are ready to have visitors!
Love you guys!!!
Noya

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home